Monday, May 18, 2009

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish.

I read Steve Jobs' address at the Stanford graduation again today. I guess its the 19477th time now :). There is something about that address, that makes my stomach feel funny every single time I read it, every single time. There is something in those self made people that you wanna respect them, no matter how cocky or arrogant they are. I have always been a fan of this guys' ideologies. Once a reporter asked him why he always wanted all the stuff for a computer made by Apple itself, why can't you outsource something. Well our guy answers - If I find something in my product which I don't like or approve of, I wanna fire the guy who made it. Not your kind of boss, but still there is some zing in his ideas. 
He says in his address about, thinking about everyday as your last and then asking yourself would you be doing what you are doing now? And if your answer is NO for quite a few consecutive days, then its affirmative that you change what you are currently doing. Fair enough isn't it? 
Well now that leaves me with a tough question and an even tougher answer. What DO I like to do in my life? Well the other day I was having this conversation with one of my similar minded friends. I was telling her about some food I cooked and it did not come good. I felt bad, pretty bad. But then if I write some code and I get lots of bugs in it or something, I don't usually feel bad, I just feel plain frustrated. And when I cook something, which I don't usually do for some time now, I cook with lots of heart in it. And when it comes bad, I just feel VERY bad. And this doesn't mean I wanna be a cook or something, just that I'm passionate about it. 
Similarly photography, I would NEVER place me anywhere near the tag of a good photographer. Can't even think of more than one or two pictures I had taken and I really loved it and wanted to flaunt it. But I its just like cooking, in a way as in I'm passionate about it. I don't take much pictures. I am not that always carry my camera wherever I go kind of guy. I don't take pictures unless I really wanna take some. Otherwise it always comes out bad. Not that it comes out good otherwise, but still that's the way I think I am.
Staying hungry and foolish is not that easy, it requires lot more than just perseverance and luck. Instinct, Love and Courage to walk alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment